Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Look what I did: Water Pump replacement

A couple years back, the water pump on my '95 Corolla started making nasty noises. It sounded a bit like what you'd expect to hear if you threw a handful of gravel in a blender on low speed, and gradually got worse. I attempted to remove it myself, but between my lack of tools, the tight spaces, and some really stiff bolts, I had to eventually give up and take it to a real mechanic. $750 later, I had a new water pump and timing belt.

So when the water pump started making nasty noises again this spring, I decided to replace it myself. It cost $20 for a new pump off eBay and $10 or so for new coolant.

Two days before I had planned to replace it, my wife took my car to her monthly book club. Afterward, when starting the car to return home, she heard a loud squealing sound coming from the engine. The water pump had decided to finally seize up during the one event to which my wife looks forward with the greatest anticipation each month. She shut off the car and called me, then drove home with a neighbor friend (who had also come to book club) following. The car was smoking, steaming, stinking, and squealing the whole way.

I didn't drive to work the next day--my wife dropped me off instead.

That Saturday, I took on the car. It took me all day, from about 8:30 am to 4:30 pm, and by dinner time, I was not only thoroughly coated in grease and grime, but had also acquired several bruised and scraped knuckles. But I was done. The belt driving the alternator and water pump had been nearly completely shredded, and there was antifreeze and rubber residue splattered all over the engine compartment.

It's remarkable how much quieter my car is when the water pump isn't grinding itself to shavings.

I also found myself cursing the Toyota engineers who designed the thing. In order to remove the water pump, you must remove the timing belt. In order to remove the timing belt, you must remove the timing belt covers. In order to remove the timing belt covers, you have to remove the valve cover, the idler pulley, and the crankshaft pulley. In order to remove the crankshaft pulley, you have to remove the starter motor (so you can jam a screwdriver in the flywheel), and in order to remove the idler pulley, you have to remove the alternator. In order to remove the starter motor, you have to remove the air intake and air filter. Oh, and don't forget the need to remove the right front wheel and several splash guards in order to get to everything.

I couldn't get the starter motor or the crankshaft pulley off, but I was able to remove enough of the timing belt covers (there are three) to squeeze a socket wrench onto the last mounting bolt for the water pump, pushing the timing belt to one side in the process. I also managed to remove the bolts mounting the pulley to the water pump, which gave me more flexibility in removing the water pump from that cramped, twisted space.

I think my next car is going to be some type of land yacht. The ability to replace individual parts without taking apart half the engine will more than make up for the reduced gas mileage.

1 comment:

The Allgaiers said...

What a man!! Love you honey! :)