Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Look what I did: new rear speakers

A few months back, one of the rear speakers in my '95 Corolla started crackling and generally sounding bad. I disconnected it, and have been limping along with just one rear speaker for a few months.

Last week, when budgeting for this month, my wife and I set apart a few bucks to get new speakers. They arrived yesterday (a pair of Blaupunkt 6.5" speakers for $20 shipped off eBay), and I installed them last night.

I ran into only one glitch during installation: the original speakers had mounting holes that extended further out than the 6.5" diameter, while the new speakers' mounting holes lay within the 6.5" footprint. Also the instructions included zero information on the extra mounting hardware that was included with the new kit.

A few minutes with the drill press, and I had modified the mounting clips to work for my new speakers in the old mounts. I had to loosen them again to rotate the speakers after I realized the hookup wires were too short, but I got it all put back together before going to bed. Now, I'm enjoying a full set of speakers again.

Oh, and I replaced the front interior door handles last night as well.

No comments: